About

Rakish and Urbane is a forum for my thoughts on style and what inspires me: From the Harlem Renaissance to the streets of Brighton with everything else in between!

One Quote that Inspires Me Day in Day out

"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step."

Martin Luther King


Wednesday 18 August 2010

Sorry no posts

Sorry I've been slightly slow on the posting but I promise I've decided to step away from the Mad Men theme. Until I think of a proper article to write, here's a few band recommendations:

Eli "Paperboy" Reed and The True Loves. Best modern funk/soul music I've heard, Reed has a great voice and the songs prove that there's still life in the old Motown music even now.

The Dynamites featuring Charles Walker. Another funk group, this one though slightly different. The songs are generally faster and more racy compared to the previous band. Also, the singer (Charles Walker) has a completely different voice, it sounds slightly less controlled though not in a bad way at all. It's more that the songs are more raw (for lack of a better word).

Finally, not a band recommendation but an album one. Oscar Peterson et Joe Pass a la Salle Pleyel. It's a live album with (obviously) Peterson and Pass dueting on most of the tracks. Pass was an incredibly talented jazz guitarist and Peterson was a sensational piano player who could play both lightning fast tunes as well as more mellow songs. The two came together in France and Peterson played some songs on his own as did Pass. The album doesn't seem to be very well known (I found it in a small record shop in Brighton) but I think it's Peterson's finest achievment. He really excels by himself and one can only imagine his fingers dancing across the keys faster than the eye could follow.

That's all for know folks, I'll get back to you

No comments:

Post a Comment